“HOW TO LIVE AND WALK IN THE SPIRIT”
16 – I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the Flesh.
17 – For the lust of the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and those are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things you wish.
18 – But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
19 – Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanliness, lewdness,
20 – idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 – envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
22 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 – gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
24 – And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 – If we live in the Spirit, let us walk in the Spirit.
26 – Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
Now, by simply reading what was mentioned in the Bible, we may not really understand what the apostle Paul meant by the “works of the flesh”. What I did is that I took all the negative qualities mentioned and listed down their definition. Here’s what I got:
WHAT ARE THE WORKS OF THE FLESH?
1. adultery – Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse.
2. fornication – voluntary sexual intercourse outside marriage
3. uncleanliness – not taking care of the “temple of the holy spirit”
4. lewdness – Preoccupied with sex and sexual desire; lustful.
5. idolatry – Blind or excessive devotion to something other than God.
6. sorcery – witchcraft or use of spells
7. hatred – a feeling of intense dislike; enmity towards another human being
8. contentions – An assertion put forward in argument. A striving to win in competition; rivalry / The act or an instance of striving in controversy or debate.
9. jealousies – the state or quality of being jealous
10. outbursts of wrath -A sudden, violent display, as of activity or emotion:
11. selfish ambitions – living for yourself; feeding your ego
12. dissensions – Difference of opinion; disagreement.
13. heresies – An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs
14. envy – A feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with desire for the possessions or qualities of another.
15. murder – To kill another human
16. drunkeness – Drunkenness is the state of being intoxicated by consumption of alcoholic beverages to a degree that mental and physical faculties are noticeably impaired
17. revelries – Boisterous merrymaking. ( Loud, noisy, and lacking in restraint or discipline. )
Those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
I pray that everyone who gets to read this note will repent and turn from their old ways and will instead accept Jesus Christ as their own personal Lord and Saviour. God Bless!